|Cristian Andal |||Aug 19, 2015 10:01 AM EDT|
(Photo : Getty Images) Former welterweight champ Antonio Margarito during his last fight in 2011 with Miguel Cotto.
Former WBA, WBO, and IBF welterweight champion Antonio Margarito, who retired from boxing last 2011, is reportedly preparing for a comeback fight this November or December, according to Boxing News 24.
Like Us on Facebook
The report also said that if the Tijuana Tornado wins his fall fight with a still undisclosed opponent, the 37-year-old Mexican-American plans to fight for a world title next year.
Margarito's last fight was back in December 2011, which was a round 10 TKO loss to arch-rival Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto.
The bout was stopped by the ring physician at the beginning of the 10th round as the Torrance native's eye was swollen shut. It was the same eye that was severely damaged with a broken orbital bone during his previous fight with Manny Pacquiao and had required surgery to repair.
After the loss, Margarito was forced to retire by his family and had settled on managing the career of former lightweight titlist Miguel Vázquez since then.
Boxing Scene reported that his former trainer, Robert Garcia, will help him get ready for his ring return.
"I already talked to Robert. I will train with him," Margarito told reporters during an interview. "First I want to train for three more months, and then do one more fight before looking for a big fight."
He also said that his right eye is doing "fine" and that he is "physically" ready to resume his boxing career. He reportedly plans to fight in the junior middleweight or middleweight division where a lot of exciting fighters are currently in like Canelo Alvarez, Austin Trout, Vanes Martirosyan, David Lemieux, Andy Lee, Gennady Golovkin, and of course his old nemesis Cotto.
Margarito even mentioned the possibility of fighting Cotto again for the third time or Canelo for a title belt next year, but admitted that he still needs to prove to the fans that he can still compete at that elite level before calling anyone out.
"Yes, of course I would like to go against one of them, but first I have to demonstrate that I can compete at that level, I am not worried because I know that I am here to give good fights, I just need the opportunity to demonstrate it," he added.
SB Nation's Bad Left Hook indicated that since his retirement, Margarito had been focusing on his family, particularly his children. It was reported that he had sought his family's consent first before deciding to go ahead with his comeback.
©2015 Chinatopix All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission
China's former Chief of the Ministry of Public Security, Zhou Yongkang, has been given a life sentence after he was found guilty of abusing his office, bribery and deliberately ... Full Article
China Pork Prices Expected to Stabilize As The Supplies Recover
Elephone P9000 Smartphone is now on Sale on Amazon India
There's a Big Chance Cliffhangers Won't Still Be Resolved When Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Returns
Supreme Court Ruled on Samsung vs Apple Dispute for Patent Infringement
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Rumors and Release Date: What is the Latest?