Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni Recovering from a Heart Procedure
Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni underwent a "completely successful" minor heart procedure at a Rome hospital, local media reported on Wednesday.
The 62-year-old Gentiloni complained of discomfort at his office in Rome's Chigi palace on Tuesday evening after his visit in France. Contrary to rumors, the prime minister, who took office end of last year, did not have a heart attack and never lost consciousness, the source said.
Like Us on Facebook
Gentiloni had an emergency angioplasty to unblock an obstructed artery near his heart late on Tuesday. The procedure, which is the widening of an obstructed or narrowed blood vessel by stenting, was performed after a CAT scan and blood tests.
"The full success of the intervention was confirmed this afternoon by the excellent clinical progress being made by the premier," a medical bulletin from Rome's Gemelli hospital said.
Retired cardiologist Pietro Santarelli, who worked for years at the Gemelli, said records show that Gentiloni could be out of the hospital in a few days. The leader confirmed this with a tweet saying, "I'm well. Soon I'll go back to work."
He went to Paris on Tuesday for a meeting with French President Francois Hollande. He was due to fly to London on Thursday to meet with British Prime Minister Theresa May, a trip that has now been cancelled. On Friday, he is scheduled to meet Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Rome.
Gentiloni, who was a foreign minister until last month, had been conducting a tour of European capitals following his appointment in mid-December 2016. He took the reins of power after Matteo Renzi announced his resignation in the wake of rejection to his proposals to overhaul the Italian Senate in the Italian constitutional referendum.