Updated 11:29 AM EDT, Tue, Jun 16, 2020

Make CT Your Homepage

Despite Texas Snafu, is an Ebola Outbreak in the U.S. Unlikely?

Thomas Eric Duncan

Thomas Eric Duncan, 1st US Ebola victim

After dropping the ball and allowing Ebola to enter the U.S., Texas is hurriedly reassuring Americans it has the situation under control.

Health authorities said 50 people in Texas will be monitored daily for possible Ebola symptoms. This includes 10 persons considered at "high risk" from Ebola because of their exposure to Thomas Eric Duncan, the first confirmed Ebola victim in the U.S. now in critical condition at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

Like Us on Facebook

Counted among the 50 persons being monitored are healthcare workers and the ambulance team that brought Duncan to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Among the high risk group are four people who were in the apartment where Duncan stayed after he arrived from Liberia on Sept. 20. These persons have been identified as Louise Troh, originally from Liberia, her 13-year-old son and two nephews living at the Ivy Apartments in Dallas. The Trohs have been quarantined at the apartments since Duncan checked positive for Ebola.

They were transferred from their apartment to a private home after Troh complained loudly to CNN that nobody had brought food to her family and that they had only used Clorox to disinfect items believed to have been contaminated by the Ebola virus.

The apparently confused response by Dallas city government authorities to the Ebola case has been widely criticized by Texan media. TV reporters noted the city government's confusion as behind the lack of cleanup at the Ivy Apartments. The city also had trouble finding a place that would take in the Trohs.

Duncan travelled from Ebola-ravaged Liberia to Dallas in September before he began showing symptoms of the disease.

Some 30 barrels filled with Duncan's items including bed sheets, towels and mattresses before he was hospitalized were hauled Oct. 3 and will be disposed of, said the Dallas city government.

The first confirmed Ebola casein the U.S. has raised concerns if the incurable disease that has killed 3,400 people in West Africa could spread in the U.S. Federal health officials, however, claim they're confident they can keep any Ebola outbreak in check.

U.S. health authorities believe Duncan contracted the virus in Liberia while assisting a pregnant woman who later died. He came to Dallas to visit relatives.

After developing a high fever, Duncan first went to Texas Health Presbyterian on Sept. 25. Despite warning doctors he had come from Liberia, one of three Ebola-ravaged West African countries, Duncan was given antibiotics and released.

Three days later, Duncan was taken by ambulance back to the hospital. He remains in serious condition today.

Real Time Analytics