|Cristian Andal |||Aug 28, 2015 12:27 AM EDT|
(Photo : Getty Images) Andre Ward is currently under the promotional outfit of rapper Jay Z, Roc Nation Sports.
Reports are out that reigning WBA (Super) and Lineal super middleweight champion Andre Ward could possibly fight in the undercard of the Miguel Cotto-Saul Alvarez pay-per-view bout on November 21 set at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
Roc Nation Sports, the company founded and owned by rap superstar Jay Z that now promotes Ward's and Cotto's fights, confirmed the offer from the fight's organizer.
Like Us on Facebook
"We think it would be good for him (Ward), a showcase pay-per-view, it could be good for the pay-per-view and he showed interest in being on the undercard," Roc Nation Sports' CEO Michael Yorkmark said, as reported by Boxing Scene.
However, it was not yet disclosed who the 31-year-old American's opponent will be. There were rumors that 30-year-old super middleweight pugilist Marco Antonio Peribán, who is currently handled by Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, will be Ward's rival that night.
It would be a great tune-up fight for Ward if the undercard match with Peribán pushes through. It may not be as exciting as when he would be fighting a top caliber opponent, but it can help the San Francisco, California native prepare for a much bigger fight ahead, say against middleweight Gennady Golovkin or light heavyweight Sergey Kovalev.
Ward had been away from the ring since the Edwin Rodriguez bout in 2013 and only fought once since then, a ninth-round TKO victory against unheralded British super middleweight Paul Smith on June 20 this year at the Oracle Arena in Oakland.
Boxing News 24's Allan Fox said that Ward is more likely to move up to light heavyweight and face Kovalev than wait for Golovkin to move up to super middleweight and fight him.
This is because GGG's promoter Tom Leoffler announced that he wants his fighter to face the winner of the Cotto-Canelo match next year and then go after WBO middleweight titlist Andy Lee to possibly unify all the belts in the division.
Golovkin is scheduled to fight David Lemieux on October 17 at the Madison Square Garden in New York for the WBA (Super), IBO, interim WBC, and IBF middleweight titles.
SkySports indicated that Ward, who had resolved his past promotional problems by signing with Jay Z's company, would like "to fight regularly" from here on.
©2015 Chinatopix All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission
China's former Chief of the Ministry of Public Security, Zhou Yongkang, has been given a life sentence after he was found guilty of abusing his office, bribery and deliberately ... Full Article
China Pork Prices Expected to Stabilize As The Supplies Recover
Elephone P9000 Smartphone is now on Sale on Amazon India
There's a Big Chance Cliffhangers Won't Still Be Resolved When Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Returns
Supreme Court Ruled on Samsung vs Apple Dispute for Patent Infringement
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Rumors and Release Date: What is the Latest?