CHINA TOPIX

Updated 11:29 AM EDT, Tue, Jun 16, 2020

Make CT Your Homepage

Boxing News: Mauricio Sulaiman Reminds Winner of Cotto-Canelo Bout of Mandatory Fight with Gennady Golovkin

Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, and Canelo Alvarez

(Photo : Getty Images) Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, and Canelo Alvarez during the recent Cotto-Canelo press conference. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman had reminded again both fighters that the winner of their match should be ready to face Gennady "GGG" Golovkin.

World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman has again reminded WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) and his November 21st challenger Canelo Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) that the winner of their match later this month must face WBC interim middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin afterward.

Like Us on Facebook

Sulaiman confirmed that no other course of action can be taken and it would have to be Golovkin or the title will be stripped off, except both parties reach a mutual agreement to temporarily shelve the fight.

"We can confirm that the winner must face our interim champion, Golovkin," said the boxing executive, as reported by Boxing Scene. "It's a fight that has to happen, the winner cannot face someone else."

Meanwhile, Boxing News 24's Timothy Bladel indicated that Golden Boy Promotions boss Oscar De La Hoya has recently expressed his unwillingness to put Canelo inside the ring with Golovkin just yet as he thinks the potential fight still needs "time to marinate".

Of course, this is assuming that Canelo will beat Cotto in their middleweight title showdown this Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.

However, De La Hoya also said that a fight between Alvarez and Golovkin is certain in the near future whether Canelo beats the Puerto Rican or not.

Bladel noted that "many fans have come to the conclusion that De La Hoya is scared to put Canelo in the ring with GGG" especially after witnessing what the Kazakh brawler did to his other prized fighter David Lemieux last month.

In the event that Canelo wins the middleweight belts from Cotto, the 25-year-old Mexican will then be pressured not only by fans and Golovkin's camp but also by the WBC to fight the Kazakh as soon as possible.

Yahoo Sports reported that Canelo expressed readiness to fight Golovkin but only if the latter would move down to 155 pounds as he is not keen in facing him at 160.

"I don't run from anybody," said Alvarez. "What I will do is never give weight advantages. I learned my lesson. That was the first thing I learned from my loss to Floyd, to not give any weight advantages, neither more or less. So if he wants to fight with me, let him come down to 155 and I'll fight him whatever day he wants."

Real Time Analytics