Boxing Rumors: Cinco de Mayo Doubleheader Featuring Canelo Alvarez, Gennady Golovkin Title Defenses Possible says WBC Prez
|Cristian Andal |||Nov 26, 2015 07:38 AM EST|
(Photo : Getty Images) Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin are planned to have separate title defenses first in one fight card during next year's Cinco de Mayo weekend before facing each other in a champion-vs-champion bout in September. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman reportedly approves the idea.
World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman recently admitted that he will support any proposal to have a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin doubleheader fight card on Cinco de Mayo weekend, where the two boxers will defend their titles against two different opponents, before they finally clash in September next year.
Like Us on Facebook
Sulaiman initially required the winner of the Cotto-Canelo middleweight title clash, which turned out to be Alvarez, to fight mandatory challenger Golovkin immediately afterward or else the belt will have to be relinquished.
However, Sulaiman now entertains the idea of a separate tune-up title defense for the two champions before they face each other on Mexican Independence Day weekend in September 2016 as "he feels the fight can become much bigger" if that would happen.
"There is no disadvantage (in doing a doubleheader)," Sulaiman said, as reported by Boxing Scene. "The subject (of making the fight) is in the hands of the promoters, Golden Boy Promotions and K2. They already know what the whole situation, especially if they reach an agreement where everyone makes a defense (prior to the mandatory fight) and use that as a leading into making this a much bigger event, with greater benefits for them - as was the case for Canelo against Cotto, where they did quite a job to maximize the event."
Meanwhile, Boxing News 24 reported that GGG's trainer Abel Sanchez reminded Canelo of the timeframe in which he has to formalize his agreement to fight Golovkin.
Sanchez said that Canelo has to decide in 15 days whether to face the Kazakh brawler or surrender his title to WBC. In order to keep his belt, Alvarez should formally advise WBC that he accepts Golovkin's challenge for a title fight that will possibly be held early next year.
Canelo had already expressed readiness to face Golovkin by saying that he can put the gloves on and fight him "right now", but in reality it is up to their promoters if the fight will ever take place.
This plan by Golden Boy Promotions and K2 to have them separately defend their titles first will surely make the Canelo-Golovkin match earn higher.
And with Sulaiman supporting the concept, it looks like Sanchez will have to wait a few more months before they can finally get their hands on Canelo.
©2015 Chinatopix All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission
China's former Chief of the Ministry of Public Security, Zhou Yongkang, has been given a life sentence after he was found guilty of abusing his office, bribery and deliberately ... Full Article
China Pork Prices Expected to Stabilize As The Supplies Recover
Elephone P9000 Smartphone is now on Sale on Amazon India
There's a Big Chance Cliffhangers Won't Still Be Resolved When Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Returns
Supreme Court Ruled on Samsung vs Apple Dispute for Patent Infringement
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Rumors and Release Date: What is the Latest?