CHINA TOPIX

Updated 6:02 PM EDT, Wed, Apr 01, 2020

Make CT Your Homepage

Boxing News: Juan Manuel Marquez in Talks for Possible Face-off With Miguel Cotto

juan manuel marquez

(Photo : gettyimages.com) Juan Marquez is apparently gearing up to face Miguel Cotto.

Boxing four-division champion and Mexican great Juan Manuel Marquez divulged on Thursday that he is in discussions to step back into the ring against former middleweight champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico in September or October this year.

Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions stated that the 42-year-old Mexican boxing icon still has an existing contract with the promotion outfit, and that he is waiting for the decision of the well-known fighter regarding a comeback for him to get involved in the talks.

Like Us on Facebook

According to ESPN, Marquez also talked about the possibility of a May bout in Mexico City and said that they will announce his comeback in mid-March. He disclosed that he started training again last week.  

"I talked to Cotto's people and told them about my situation and what I want, and they are willing to cooperate," Marquez, who is known for his four-fight saga with the Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao, said. "It appears that Cotto wants to fight in June and I want to fight in May because two years of inactivity is a very important factor. I have to get on pace with a fight in May and then why not consider a fight with Cotto in September or October?"

Cotto's side has expressed interest in a fight with Marquez, which could be at a catchweight of 150 pounds or at 147 pounds depending on how Marquez will negotiate with Roc Nation Sports, the promoter of Cotto.

Marquez has fought a total of 64 fights won 56 contests with 43 by way of knockouts, including his sensational 6th round stoppage of Pacquiao in their fourth match on December 2012. He has suffered 7 defeats and 1 draw.

Cotto, on the other hand, has fought for a total of 45 bouts, with 40 wins, 33 by TKOs and 5 losses.

Real Time Analytics