Boxing News & Rumors: GGG Coach Thinks Potential 155-lb Catchweight for Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin Fight is “Disrespectful”
|Cristian Andal |||Dec 09, 2015 07:17 AM EST|
(Photo : Getty Images) Gennady Golovkin with trainer Abel Sanchez during an open media workout last year. Sanchez reportedly said that it is "disrespectful" of Canelo Alvarez to demand the potential title fight with Golovkin be fought at a catchweight of 155 pounds.
Abel Sanchez, head trainer of current, unified WBA (Super), IBF, WBC (interim) and IBO middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin (34-0, 31 KOs) recently said that a potential 155-pound catchweight title fight with Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) would be "disrespectful" to all the past fighters of the middleweight division.
Like Us on Facebook
"I think it's an insult to all the great warriors that fought at 160 pounds; all the Mexican fighters that fought at 154, fought in a division where they sacrificed their body," Sanchez said, via Boxing News 24, when asked about his comments on a potential Canelo-Golovkin middleweight championship fight at 155 pounds.
Sanchez went on to say that Canelo and Cotto had turned into "divas" through the years, but that "they're not bigger than the sport". He clarified, however, that he is not against catchweight fights per se, only that it should not be allowed by the world's main sanctioning bodies during championship fights.
"Like I've said in the past, there is catch-weight fights if you're not going to fight for a belt; you can fight at any weight you want. But when you're going to fight for a belt, there is weight that is stipulated by not only history, but by some of the old warriors that have fought for those belts that fought at that particular weight. So, yeah, I think it's kind of disrespectful for him (Canelo) to do that," he added.
Canelo owns the lineal, The Ring, and WBC middleweight titles and he is mandated by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to face GGG as soon as possible or else the belt will be stripped off the champion.
Boxing Scene reported that the deadline to finalize negotiations between Alvarez and Golovkin was extended up to December 11, Friday, citing the US Thanksgiving holiday as the reason for the delay.
This means that in two days, Canelo and his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions chief Oscar De La Hoya, should decide whether they want to face Golovkin or not most probably in May next year.
©2015 Chinatopix All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission
China's former Chief of the Ministry of Public Security, Zhou Yongkang, has been given a life sentence after he was found guilty of abusing his office, bribery and deliberately ... Full Article
China Pork Prices Expected to Stabilize As The Supplies Recover
Elephone P9000 Smartphone is now on Sale on Amazon India
There's a Big Chance Cliffhangers Won't Still Be Resolved When Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Returns
Supreme Court Ruled on Samsung vs Apple Dispute for Patent Infringement
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Rumors and Release Date: What is the Latest?