Boxing News & Rumors: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Could Go For 50th Career Win, But Not Against Cotto Or Canelo
|Cristian Andal |||Sep 04, 2015 07:39 AM EDT|
(Photo : Reuters) Floyd Mayweather Jr. (left) insists that he won't come back for a 50th fight, and if ever it won't be against Canelo or Cotto.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (48-0, 26 KOs) recently had a phone interview with reporters with regards to his bout against Andre Berto (30-3, 23 KOs) on September 12 and to ask him about his future plans for his boxing career.
When asked whether he would like to fight beyond this September and if he would be willing to face the winner of the Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez middleweight title showdown, this is what he said: "Why would I fight one of them in my 50th fight?"
Like Us on Facebook
Boxing News 24's Dan Ambrose said that this may indicate Floyd's desire to fight beyond 49 and have a shot at a world-record 50th win as an undefeated fighter. Only not against either Cotto or Canelo.
Mayweather may want to make sure that if he is going to fight again, he would do it for the right kind of reasons and at the right circumstances.
There were speculations that a rematch with Filipino pugilist Manny Pacquiao is more likely for Floyd because of the potential income it can generate, while Gennady Golovkin is also a better option for him than Cotto or Canelo to finally retire leaving no trace of doubt as who is really "The Best Ever" to ever lace boxing gloves.
Cotto recently told reporters that a rematch with Mayweather would be his priority if he wins against Canelo and said that he is a different fighter now that Freddie Roach had been training him, as per the New York Daily News.
Still, the Puerto Rican legend does not have a clear leverage, whether providing Mayweather with money or legacy, on why Floyd would choose to fight him over Pacquiao or Golovkin.
Meanwhile, Canelo also has not proved himself worthy of a second fight with the pay-per-view king. Defeating an aging Cotto would not be enough for him to call Mayweather once again.
Perhaps if Canelo could set up a fight with Golovkin next and convincingly defeat the Kazakh brawler, then a rematch with Money would be interesting.
Meanwhile, Boxing Scene reported that Mayweather was insistent that the fight with Berto would indeed be his last fight.
The unbeaten pound-for-pound champion said that he already beat Pacquiao, Cotto, and Canelo and that he is not interested in coming back for a 50th fight. However, Mayweather is notoriously known for always changing his mind, which is why only a few people believes 49 is the last.
©2015 Chinatopix All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission
China's former Chief of the Ministry of Public Security, Zhou Yongkang, has been given a life sentence after he was found guilty of abusing his office, bribery and deliberately ... Full Article
China Pork Prices Expected to Stabilize As The Supplies Recover
Elephone P9000 Smartphone is now on Sale on Amazon India
There's a Big Chance Cliffhangers Won't Still Be Resolved When Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Returns
Supreme Court Ruled on Samsung vs Apple Dispute for Patent Infringement
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Rumors and Release Date: What is the Latest?